Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Homeless Man’s Faith

A Homeless Man’s Faith


As I awake from a good-night's rest, I can’t help but see people staring at me
Is it because I lay on the ground downtown that they are glaring at me?
I haven’t had a shower in weeks and a home cooked meal is a thing of the past
Shelter is what I now seek as people stare at me as they walk; some slow, some fast
Some look with sorrow in their eyes and some look surprised, I can tell
A homeless man is what I am and some can’t take the smell
I would bathe every night because it’s right if only I had a place to call home
It doesn’t have to be as cool to this dude as the condo in the Pocono’s I once owned
It was only a year ago, two years before my mortgage was to be paid off
I walked into work, got my feelings hurt when told I was being laid off
Though I didn’t expect it, I had no choice but to accept it
Now as I struggle to live; I beg others to give, who could’ve expected it
My savings have been depleted, because my boss decided to downsize
But my soul hasn’t been defeated as a matter of fact, I’m on the rise
You see you can’t keep a good man down and a good man is what I am
So says the man above who has shown me love; though some don’t understand
Why I still believe he guides and provides for me, though I now live in the streets
My faith in him as a friend comes from within because he is a part of me
Yes even in the face of adversity he will always come first to me that I’ll never deny
I am never alone because to me God has shown he’s always at my side
So as I pray every night, I try to live right to change the way in which I live
I’ll get a chance to change my circumstance and it’s an opportunity only he can give.


Written by
Emerson Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment