Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Child Abuse

CHILD ABUSE
 If you’ve suffered physical abuse as a child
You were probably confused as a child 
You were all alone to fend for yourself
You could tell no one, so you spoke to yourself
You probably asked yourself why me, why me?
Since why me means why not he or she, you no longer ask why me?

Night after night you cried yourself to sleep
And night after night you awoke from that sleep
In a cold sweat, still crying and shaking
Trying to forget about the dream but you can’t stop shaking
The violent beatings in the dreams seemed so real I even hurt
Not just physically but emotional as well I hurt

Why does he hit me repeatedly with any object in sight?
Does he really mean it when he says, “ Get out of my sight”?
I have evil thoughts of my own, like I wish he were dead
For sure I wouldn’t have to endure these beatings if he were dead
But would the nightmares end when his life ends? Or will they continue?
Will I always be afraid to go to sleep for as long as my life continues?

He has now passed on and I am now a grown man with many issues
The physical and emotional abuse I endured is at the root of my issues
If I had one wish granted, my roots would be re-planted and showered with love
I’d have more self-confidence and intelligence; for those qualities emanate from love
At least that is what I hear because I’ll never know what it is to be loved by another
He told me he loved me too; thus I am confused; I no longer want to be loved by another.


Written By
Emerson Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment